Sunday, August 10, 2008

My Wedding Dress

The very first wedding purchase since the crazy wedding planning started is my dress. We picked and purchased our wedding bands months ago but my dress way the first legit purchase since the real wedding planning started.

I looked all over the internet for something very simple and dainty. J Crew, Nordstrom, Saks, everywhere...but came up with nothing. I didn't want a full-length dress and I wanted it plain. No lace, no beading, just plain. I did want a sash but that was it. I searched for a whole week and decided I was going the custom route but didn't find anything online since most of them had a 12-week wait.

Creations Bridal was my only choice. The lady I worked with was very nice and patient with me. I brought in pictures during our first meeting and she was very quick to sketch what I had in mind. They even had the right shade of dupioni silk that I was looking for. But in the end, their price was a bit too high for me. I was about to give up on my quest for the dress until I decided to stop by Bella Rosa to check out the dresses they carry for bridesmaids. At this point we had already moved our date to October and I can actually get a dress in early enough if I paid extra for the rush service.

I have been to Bella Rosa before with a friend right after the engagement just to check out what they had in the store. It was about an hour before their closing time and the lady had me pull all BM dresses that I was interested in. I picked about 4 and headed for the fitting room. none of them worked. I hated each and every single dress I tried on. By the time I was done, it was 5 'til 6. She asked me what I didn't like about the dresses and I told her that all of them puffed out in the bottom. I told her that I would probably have to come back another time since they are closing but she told me to try on one last dress. She pulled an ivory lace dress, v-neck, tea-length, and very pretty. I actually looked at it but didn't think twice about trying it on because of the lace material. I went in to the fitting room and tried the dress on. You know how they say that when you know it's the one, you just know? Well, I did! I fell in love with the dress soo much! It reminded me of this Monique Lhuillier dress that I drooled over for so long that I knew from the get-go I will never be able to afford.

I went home that evening and told J about how I foun the dress. He doesn't know anything about it except for the fact that it's ivory and it's not long. I bought my dress from Victoria's Bridal Couture located in Florida. They have an on-line shop and I paid for less than half the retail price had I purchased it from Bella Rosa. Their rush charge was only $30 and it should be here by the 2nd week of September. I plan on wearing my dress with a brown thick satin sash.

This is getting long. I will post my shoe dillema next.

No comments: